Friday 11 November 2011

Final Reflection on Learning

Being a final year student taking six modules (including FYP), I thought taking ES2007S was a bad move as I will not have time for other modules. To be frank, the main objective for me to take ES2007S was because of the application letter and resume writing. On the other hand, now that I have completed ES2007S, I feel that this module has really helped me in many other ways – presentation skills and effective communication.
As I was a shy speaker who cannot really express myself well, I was unable to translate my thoughts accurately and fast enough into verbal and non-verbal communication. As a result, I might use the wrong words and offend them at times. That also had adverse effects on my presentation skills.
With Brad and ES2007S curriculum, I had many opportunities speak/present in front of people. Most importantly, I received many feedbacks for improvement. Frankly speaking, I did not think that I would enjoy these initially because criticisms are usually not pleasant to hear. For example, I had peer teaching, oral presentation, elevator pitch, “describing who you are” and many other impromptu chances to present and speak openly.  Following these activities, I received quite negative comments which disheartened me a little. Thanks to Brad’s constant reminder and encouragement, I did not take the negative feedbacks too hard and worked on my weaknesses.
Gradually, I got used to this and understood the importance of feedbacks. Coupled with the countless speaking and presentation opportunities that both Brad and this course had provided, it boosted my confidence level, presentation skills and speaking to people very spontaneous as I am less nervous.  These really helped me greatly in the other presentations that I had.
Last but not least, I would like to thank Brad, my proposal project teammates (Lance, Zoey, Huixin), peer teaching partner (Zoey), Png Ning for her encouragement in my mock interview evaluation form and the other peers in this course for their help throughout the course. ES2007S had really made me a better presenter. All the best for your exams and future endeavorsJ

11 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the course. I think it is only normal to feel discouraged or disheartened when we receive negative comments.. (I did too!) But as you pointed out, it only serves to make us better if we take these criticisms and do something about did.

    Even though you said you were nervous at times, I enjoyed listening to your presentations because I feel that you are very honest and passionate in the way you speak.. I am not sure how I can better explain this.

    All the best for your exams too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    It's great to know you learned a lot in this class.I agreed with Noelle that sometimes we will feel disheartened when we receive negative comments.However, if we treat them as advices that unpleasant to hear but useful,we can improve a lot!
    I think you are sincere when you speak.As for me, I didn't feel any offence when chatting with you.To be honest,I've learned a lot from you! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,

    I've really had a great time interacting with you during the course. I guess reading your blog and seeing your honest reflections really struck a chord with me. You have a great deal of self-awareness,definitely much greater than me. Remember one of the things mentioned at the beginning of class where self-awareness and empathy make a good communicator? You definitely show an exceptional level of both, to the extent that your interviewers felt your sincerity during the mock interviews. So I guess what I am saying is continue to work on communication, and I am sure you have the DNA to be a great communicator :)

    Don't be a stranger in engineering, i'll definitely see you around school so don't forget to say 'hi!'.

    Best of luck for your FYP and exams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,

    I agree that we do feel disheartened when we heard the negative comments. I thought our class is really nice, because they will give or tell you many positive and “flattery” things too.

    It was nice knowing you. You gave me advices about modules and FYP and how I should make my selections and decisions. I am very grateful for those.

    I’ll see you around in school (if you still are after the finals):D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Christopher, for this final reflection detailing your experience most specifically with getting feedback on your speaking/presenting. It warms my heart to know that you feel the benefits of getting criticism outweighed the difficulty. I realize that there is a fine line between constructive feedback and humiliation. That's why courtesy is so important. I also appreciate the way that you students generally see that the end (improvement) justifies the means.

    In the spirit of giving more constructive criticism, here are a couple language items that need attention:

    1) ...I thought taking ES2007S was a bad move as I will not have time for other modules. >>> ...I thought taking ES2007S was a bad move as I would not have time for other modules.

    2) As I was a shy speaker who cannot really express myself well, I was unable to translate my thoughts accurately and fast enough into verbal and non-verbal communication. >>> verb tense consistency?

    3) many feedbacks >>> much feedback

    4) that both Brad and this course had provided >>> that both Brad and this course provided

    Thank you again for all your effort this term (thanks for helping me set up the classroom equipment, too), Chris. And best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris,

    You have spoken out some of my feelings. I also feel discouraged when being criticized and I am shyer than you. The negative feedback helps us to improve. People are born to make mistake and correct them. The best way for learning is by correcting your mistake.

    I am really glad to have a classmate like you. Hope you all the best for the final exam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christopher :)

    It was joy to get to know you better throughout the course of this semester. From the onset, I found you to be a warm and genuine individual, one who spoke with a surprising and disarming candour.

    Working with you (and Michael) on the application letters showed me one thing - that one can critique a piece and not be malicious about it.

    Thank you for sharing your story about the motorcycle incident and (separately) your aspirations for the future. I have no doubts that you will fare well in life.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Christopher! :D

    It was a totally good experience working with you together on the proposal and oral presentation component! I could clearly see that you were trying your best to improve whatever you could throughout this course, and it is really nice to see such improvement!

    Even though you may think that you are shy, during the mock interview you came across as sincere and nice to the interviewers (which included me) and you answered the questions which such passion and certainty :D all these qualities are sometimes hard to find nowadays..

    All the best for FYP! :D do continue to improve!

    huixin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey all!

    Thank you all for your constructive comments.

    All the best to all of you and good health:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Chris,

    I agree with what most have already said. Negative criticism does hurt. It did so for me too, at the beginning. But, I feel the way the critiques were handed out to us was well polished, making it easier for us to accept them. I am sure there are a lot of more disheartening ways to put across similar information. Once I realized that, it was all about improving from there on.

    See you around in Engineering! and good luck for your exams :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.
    Professional CV Writing

    ReplyDelete