Friday 4 November 2011

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Yeah! I am glad the oral presentation (OP) is finally over. Having two presentations on the same day is NOT fun at all, but this learning experience is definitely an enriching one.

The preparation phase for this OP was especially taxing as each of us (Lance, Huixin, Zoey and I) had other assignments/presentations/tests to do. Thus, it left us with minimum time to meet up and rehearse for our OP. However, with the effort that we managed to squeeze out at the very end, I am really proud of our OP as a whole. The slides and visuals are very relevant, kudos to Lance for running around the campus taking these beautiful pictures.

Personally, I discovered that through the mock OP and other presentation opportunities I received from ES2007S, it made me feel less nervous progressively. With a calm mind, this helps to ensure that my thoughts will be accurately translated into what message I want to convey. Coupled with the rehearsals our team had, it enabled the ideas to flow fluently and made my speech more coherent. Furthermore, I also became more aware of keeping eye contact with all my target audience. For example, I made the effort to establish eye contact with all my audience, especially the ones who were looking at me. 

Moving on to weakness, I felt that my presentation verbal communication could be more coherent because I realized at certain time during our OP, some of our target audience gave some abrupt frowns. Moreover, I could have done better during the Questions and Answers section too as the audience did not look convinced with my explanation. Thus to improve this, I guess it is important for me to take at most 10s to process my ideas before I answer. 

With ES2007S drawing to an end, I dare tell my friends to seize every presentation opportunity, practice, practice and practice! It is because I have tried it and it works :) 

7 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, I thought that your voice was very steady and pleasant to the ear. You had a very nice pace in delivering your ideas. About the frowning remark, it could be that some of us are contemplating over your ideas. It might not have anything to do with you. One last thing, maybe you can relax your upper body slightly because I thought you were rather rigid and uncomfortable.

    Anyway, I'll think twice before jaywalking next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    I like your entry after Lance because the first 3 speakers were very serious (their faces) and you lightened the atmosphere (by smiling so happily). It was a time that I could relax.
    Our frowning may not be that we do not understand your point. It may be that we are thinking if a point is feasible and how feasible it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris, here's feedback from me for your presentation:

    Strengths:
    - You started off very well, showing a lot of passion and interest in the ideas you were presenting.
    - Clear voice
    - Good links and signposting

    Weaknesses:
    - Sometimes, the phrasing of your sentences is not very grammatically correct (I think), or the use of some words were not very appropriate? It was slightly difficult to follow at some points.
    - Gesturing was not overly done, however I felt that it appeared awkward, slightly affecting how confident you appeared.

    As for the Q&A, I thought you answered clearly and very politely. The frowning thing - like what Ning said - it's because I am processing information! So no worries about that.

    However, I think in general, your group could have had spread out the answering of the Q&A session more? It seemed like Lance was answering most of the time.

    I hope my comments are helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,

    Here's my feedback from your presentation:

    Strengths:
    -Confidence
    -Clarity
    -Eye contact was excellent

    Weaknesses:
    - Hand gestures were a little distracting at times,drew my focus away from some important slides
    - Would have liked to see you step up and take a Q&A question

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,

    I really enjoy your voice and your control of ideas. I hold the same opinion with Eric and Noelle that your gesture is a bit irrelevant to your speaking. You could have answered more questions in the Q&A session.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

    I will improve on your suggestions especially, hand gestures.

    Appreciate your help comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.
    Professional CV Writing

    ReplyDelete